Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Bikie beggar


Walking to work in the rain listening to my iPod when suddenly a male voice cut through saying, "Can you spare a dollar?" Peeked out from my umbrella to see a tall leather clad bikie boy who kept asking me for a dollar - and with each request he moved closer and closer in, his voice becoming more aggressive with every appeal. 'No' I stammered, 'I'm sorry, I don't have a dollar' - which I have to say was the truth. Whilst I had my wallet on me it contained no cash.
Unbelieving, he kept persisiting, until finally, I said as sternly as possible, "Go away!" the adrenaline pumping through my body and panic lifting my feet to move faster. I stopped dead in my tracks as I realised he had begun to laugh and somehow, strangely, surreally was saying my name! I looked at him full in the face and saw his eyes through his bike helmet. It was my little brother who was now falling about with laughter! I gave him a shove, realising that I had been got and then my fear gave way to laughter.
Funny reaction that. Last night I was listening to a film director talk about a film scene set in WW2 London where the city had just been bombed, and the patrons in a pub having heard the explosions go off outside after a moments of silence, all start to laugh. And he said that his research showed that this was a common reaction! I'm sure someone out there can explain the phyisological reason behind this - but I find it a charming reaction and I'm glad we humans have it!

No comments:

Post a Comment