Thursday, June 11, 2009

Accidents do happen

On Tuesday afternoon, I had arrived at Edgecliff station and was traveling up the escalator when I heard the most sickening thud behind me. I was almost too scared to turn around, and when I did I saw an elderly man lying upside down on the steps. Apparently he had lost his balance and fallen backwards down several steps and he hit his head on the sharp metal edge of the step. There was only one other passenger on the steps and she was behind him. We both froze for a moment and then I heard an inner voice inside me say, “Quick move!” and I raced down to him and realized that he was unconscious.

At first I didn’t have a clue what to do, but I prayed for help as the other lady rang for an ambulance. Blood started to pour from the back of his head quickly forming a large pool underneath him so I ripped off my scarf and applied pressure to the wound. His blood covered my hands. Suddenly I found I knew exactly what to do, as others came to help, it was me who had taken charge! I told the people not to move him but we supported his head and neck which was hanging back over the step, and I asked someone to loosen his tie to allow him to breathe clearly. He had gained consciousness by now but was very groggy and I held his hand and calmed him down.

By the time the ambulance staff had arrived, the man was making jokes! I left him in the capable hands of the ambulance staff but continued to pray for his recovery. The next day I rang St Vincent’s hospital and was advised that he had been held overnight for observation but had been released that morning. Thank God!

No comments:

Post a Comment